Saturday, April 13, 2013

Go See: "42"

Perhaps one of the most ironic things about myself is that I am not a sports fan at all.  I couldn't tell you nor identify any professional players if they were standing next to me and I accept that about myself.  What I can tell you is that I absolutely love sports films.  I have no idea why - maybe it's the suspense and excitement of the snippets that you see in the film or the lead actors who play iconic characters much like this film, "42" which is a biopic about the baseball legend Jackie Robinson.  Sure, I'd heard of the guy and maybe knew a little about his significance as the first african american baseball player but wow, Brian Helgeland (the director) did a superior job of telling a tale showing the raw emotions, the prejudicism and racism of the times and the love of the game as told through the eyes of a little boy to an old MLB executive.

Jackie Robinson was played by a somewhat unknown but not anymore actor Chadwick Boseman.  Let me just say that this is not his first time to the rodeo as this multi-talented actor also directs and writes.  He was in shows such as "Lincoln Heights" and "Persons Unknown".  What were his thoughts on portraying Jackie Robinson? 

"The story is relevant because we still stand on his shoulders. He started something - I would even say maybe he didn't even start it, it started before him. But he carried the torch. And he carried it alone for a period of time before other people could help him." -imdb.com

Harrison Ford was amazing as Branch Rickey, the MLB executive who found and signed Jackie Robinson.  I'm feeling a bit of some nominations in the air...Golden Globes, maybe Oscars.  I'll just say you heard it from me first!  Rachel Robinson (Jackie's wife) was played by newcomer Nicole Beharie (maybe you saw her in "Shame") and there were quite a few actors that popped up that I know you know who they are.  Law & Order alum Christopher Meloni plays Dodgers manager Leo Derocher, Lucas Black plays Pee Wee Reese (he was the kid in "Slingblade" and was also on "Friday Night Lights"), Alan Tudyk who plays the very racist Phillies Manager (I swore he was british as he was in the original "Death at a Funeral" and "A Knight's Tale" but he's a southern boy), and Hamish Linklater ("The New Adventures of the Old Christine"), T.R. Knight ("Grey's Anatomy") and John C. McGinley ("Scrubs"). 

Go see this film, it is by far one of my favorite films this year so far.  The acting is incredible and the story will stir your emotions.

The Real Jackie Robinson and Branch Rickey signing his contract


No comments:

Post a Comment