Sunday, June 6, 2010

Go See: "Get Him To The Greek"

It's rare when that really funny movie comes along that almost evokes tears because you're laughing so hard. And while I tried not to have high expectations for this film, "Get Him To The Greek" it pretty much met all of my funny bone expectations and more. I was wondering how they were going to cross-over from the origination of the character, "Aldous Snow" who was artfully played by Russell Brand in "Forgetting Sarah Marshall", but the writers handled it quite well.

Now, it's almost a policy of mine to never read a review of any film before I see it. I generally want to see a film because of the talent, director or subject matter and not because it had a good or bad review. To me, it's all bollocks because I see everything. But after I saw this film, I ended up reading a review by writer Andrew O'Hehehir in Salon.com titled "Get Him To The Greek": 30's screwball bromance. I actually agree with him in most of his point of views of this comedy. O'Hehehir makes a good point that in the big blockbuster comedies these days - the celebrity cameos become the ringers of the show. From "Today Show's" Meredith Vieira to Metallica's Lars Ullrich and Nobel-winning economist and NY Times Columnist Paul Krugman, (and yes, I had to wikipedia who that was!), these star-studded cameos sometimes make the film. Do we need to bring up "Iron Mike" aka Mike Tyson in "The Hangover"?

O'Hehehir equates this film to 1930's slapstick style of comedy (think Preston Sturges or Ernst Lubitsch) sans the over-the-top partying, sex with girls in the bathroom and drug and drunken displays of bromance comraderie. However I would agree with him when he said - "If jokes like that had been conceivable back then, wouldn't Sturges have used them?"

See for yourself - but don't take my review for it. Go see for yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment