Monday, June 21, 2010

Go See: "I Am Love"

What a wonderful departure from a big Hollywood blockbuster hit. May I introduce you to, "I Am Love"? This italian subtitled film, which was directed by Luca Guadagnino, (who also directed Tilda Swinton in two other films), is probably one of the most beautifully shot films that I have seen in ages, with thanks to cinematographer Yorick Le Saux. If his name doesn't sound familiar to you, well, you're not alone as I'm not privy to as many foreign films, particularly french films as I'd like but he was the Director of Photography on the film, "Swimming Pool", starring the british actress Charlotte Rampling. Even the music caught my attention, and it normally doesn't, so cheers to composer John Adams.

This film displayed a major distinction between the uber, uber rich Recchi family to all of the many white gloved servants they had that ran their household. This film was passionate, sexy and the ending was filled with build-up upon build-up. It had a steady pace to it which is ideal for weighty films and overall, I think I'm newly obsessed with the filmmaker and the whole breadth of the story.

If you opt for a more refined review than mine, check out Todd Eberle's review on the Vanity Fair's website.

But take a look at this elegant trailer...!

No comments:

Post a Comment