Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Can't Wait: "Freakonomics" - Releases Oct. 1st

Documentaries are rarely on the top of my "to watch" movie list but once I start watching one, I wish I would think to watch them more frequently. Now, I just watched the trailer to "Freakonomics" and it definitely caught my eye. I had always heard about this book and I was intrigued because the word alone is alarming. I know what a "freak" is and I know what "economics" are but trying to combine this word, well, now that just doesn't make sense. So the duo author team of Stephen J. Dubner (NY author and journalist) and Steven D. Levitt (professor of economics at the University of Chicago) combined their intellect and wrote this book where to me (based on the amazon.com review) says that everything has a reason and structure behind why it is what it is. But they just describe it more nerdy and scientifically.

This little doc-y flick has quite a star-studded filmmaker roster. It has perhaps more directors than producers. Ha, ha! I worked in indie film so I have grounds and proof to say that! I digress, now here's the rolling credits list - six directors collaborated on this film and they are the following...Alex Gibney - among a laundry list of films he produced, he notiably produced "Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room" and is working on an upcoming "Untitled Lance Armstrong Documentary"; Heidi Ewing and Rachel Grady - known for "Jesus Camp"; Seth Gordon - who directed the ro-co (romantic comedy) "Four Christmases"; Eugene Jarecki - "Why We Fight"; and Morgan Spurlock - "Super Size Me". Whew, now that really is quite an impressive list. With all those heavy hitters behind this film, it is a win-win situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment